ANSWERS TO THE TRIVIA QUIZ #1
2.The Hammerhead shark. The five basic aerobatic manuevers are: Spin, Loop, Slow Roll, Snap Roll and the Hammerhead Turn.
3. Reduces drag, especially at high speed. To be precise, the chief advantage of sweep-back is that it delays the onset of compressibility effects. (Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators, pg. 226.)
4. According to a Tomcat pilot, one of the catīs nine lives will expire in about seven minutes. (Those miniaturized fuel pumps are incredibly efficient, arenīt they?)
5.Okay, this was probably just too easy. Itīs the falcon, of course. Withstands sustained flight forces up to 14 times the pull of gravity--14 Gs. Letīs see, so in a dog fight with his namesake F-16, all heīd have to do is turn, turn, turn.... American fighter pilots only have to be certified to withstand nine Gs.
6. Why, that would be (my hero) George Herbert Walker Bush. American hero, American President, Icon of a bygone--and gentler--age.
7. Charles DeBellevue (WSO, not a pilot - leading ace with 6 victories), Richard 'Steve' S. Ritchie , 5 victories), and Jeffery S. Feinstein (WSO, not a pilot - 5 victories)
8. Richard Bong.
9. Forty kills. Died testing the F-80 (fighter version of the redoubtable T-33 “Tee Bird.”)
10. A “cold cat” refers to a catapult shot that was not energetic enought to propel your aircraft into flight.